I have not posted for over a week due to many factors: primarily because our kitchen is in the final stages of renovation and I have been up to my neck in wallpaper removal and new paint. On top of that we had a pipe burst in the woodshop. Fortunately I caught it before any damage was done to wood or tools!
I did have a few periods of time that I spent on the guitar sides. The first step entailed using the jointer to true up the sides that will glue to the top. It has to be dead straight to ensure a solid join to the top. After jointing the sides, I used a small precision block plane to place the final edge on the sides.
Next up is thinning the sides to the final thickness. I use the drum sander to thin both sides to 80/1000″. Because Ziricote is a bit on the brittle side, coupled with Dan’s desire to have a cutaway, I am going to thin the cutaway section to 70/1000″. I use the random orbital sander to achieve this thickness.
I take my template and draw the outline of the sides. This guitar will be my standard depth of 3-3/4″ at the upper bout to 4″ at the lower bout. Carefully I use the bandsaw to cut out the outline and finish off using 150 grit sandpaper.
The next step is bending the sides that I plan to do tomorrow.